Please use this form if your child is currently enrolled at MCSA and you wish to secure their spot for the 2017-2018 school year.
MCSA Lottery Information
- Applications for the lottery are available online from November 13th to January 31st each year. Paper applications are available at the Front Office. Applications received after January 31st go to the wait list.
- You must re-apply each year. Lottery numbers do not carry over from year to year.
- Mallard Creek STEM Academy is a public school and requires no application fee or tuition.
- In order to be eligible for admission, students are required to reside in the State of North Carolina at the time of the lottery.
- Under North Carolina General Statute (GS115C-391), Mallard Creek STEM Academy may refuse admission to any student who has been expelled or suspended from a public school, until the period of suspension or expulsion has expired.
- MCSA reserves the right to refuse admission to any student that has not met the academic requirements for the grade level they have applied to enter.
- MCSA does not limit admission to students on the basis of intellectual ability, measures of achievement or aptitude, athletic ability, disability, race, creed, gender, national origin, religion, or ancestry.
School Application Process
Applications will be accepted from Nov 13, 2016 through Jan 31, 2017. Applications submitted after January 31, 2017 will go directly to the wait list.
If the school has more applicants than openings, those openings will be filled by lottery. Openings can be limited by program, class, grade, or building.
MCSA's 2017-2018 lottery will be held at Mallard Creek STEM Academy on February 15th, 2017. Results will be sent to parents by email, if an address was supplied, or by postal service.
The MCSA lottery is open to the general public, but attendance is not required for acceptance.
The lottery procedure must ensure that each eligible applicant, who submitted an application prior to the lottery application deadline, will have an equal opportunity to be randomly selected. It must also continue until all eligible applicants have been selected and placed on a final list.
The lottery will be run by a computer program written specifically for MCSA.
When the lottery is run, it will assign a random number to every single applicant. The applicants are then either placed or waitlisted according to space availability in each grade level.
1. Children of the school's current faculty and staff members: Eligible children will be given enrollment priority at MCSA.
2. Siblings of currently enrolled students: Eligible siblings of currently enrolled students who are enrolled in the charter school at the time of the lottery will receive enrollment priority. Sibling priority (per state law) is not extended during the lottery/waiting list period.
3. Siblings of MCSA graduates: Enrollment priority will be given to siblings for 5 years following the graduation of a MCSA student.
4. Multiple Births (Twins, Triplets): Per NC House Bill 316, in the lottery MCSA may enter one surname for multiple birth siblings to be enrolled for the school year. If their name is drawn, all multiple birth siblings will be allowed to enroll.
5. Sibling Grouping: Parents may choose to have all siblings in the family compete under one name. If that name is selected, all siblings in all grades will be accepted, or placed in order at the top of the waitlist if that grade is already filled. This procedure is intended for the parents who will only enroll if all their children are accepted.
All applicants will receive notification by March 3, 2017 by email of acceptance or waiting list number.
Post Application Period Applications
The school will decide each year whether or not to accept applications after the deadline.
If accepted, any applications received after the stated deadline will be added to the end of the waiting list in the order that they are received. Order of receipt will be determined by the time stamp on the email or online entry, and the time of day that standard mail is delivered on that day. If multiple late entries are received simultaneously (exact same timestamp or mail delivery day), they will be listed in alphabetical order of their middle name (or first if no middle is given).
For the 2017-2018 school year, late entries will be accepted (added to the end of the wait list), until at least the first day of school, or the date where it appears the waiting list will be too long to accommodate. Any late enrollment application cutoff will be posted on the website and is effective immediately.