Applications for the lottery are available online from December 1st to January 31st each year. Paper applications are available at the Front Office. Applications received after January 31st will go to the wait list. You must re-apply each year. Lottery numbers do no carry over from year to year. If the school has more applicants than openings, those openings will be filled by lottery. Openings can be limited by program, class, grade, or building.
- MC STEM Academy is a public school and requires no application fee or tuition.
- In order to be eligible for admission, students are required to reside in the State of North Carolina at the time of the lottery.
- Under North Carolina General Statute (GS115C-391), MC STEM Academy may refuse admission to any student who has been expelled or suspended from a public school until the period of suspension or expulsion has expired.
- MC STEM Academy reserves the right to refuse admission to any student that has not met the academic requirements for the grade level they have applied to enter.
- MC STEM Academy does not limit admission to students on the basis of intellectual ability, measures of the achievement or aptitude, athletic ability, disability, race, creed, gender, national origin, religion, or ancestry.
- Children of the school’s current faculty and staff members: Eligible children will be given enrollment priority at MC STEM Academy.
- Siblings of currently enrolled students: eligible siblings of currently enrolled students who are enrolled in the charter school at the time of the lottery will receive enrollment priority. Sibling priority (per state law) is not extended during the lottery/ waiting list period.
- Siblings of MC STEM Academy graduates: Enrollment priority will be given to siblings for 5 years following the graduation of a MC STEM Academy student.
- Multiple Births (Twins, Triplets): Per NC House Bill 316, in the lottery MC STEM Academy may enter one surname for multiple birth siblings to be enrolled for the school year. If their name drawn, all multiple birth siblings will be allowed to enroll.
- Sibling Grouping: Parents may choose to have all siblings in the family compete under one name. If that name is selected, all siblings in all grades will be accepted, or placed in order at the top of the waitlist if that grade is already filled. This procedure is intended for the parents who will only enroll if all children are accepted.
Post Application Period Applications
The school will decide each year whether or not to accept applications after the deadline.
If accepted, any applications received after the stated deadline will be added to the end of the waiting list in the order that they are received. Order of receipt will be determined by the time stamp on the email or online entry, and the time of the day that standard mail is delivered on that day. If multiple late entries are received simultaneously (exact same timestamp or mail delivery day), they will be listed in alphabetical order of their middle name (or first if no middle name is given).
For the 2019-2020 school year, late entries will be accepted (added to the end of the wait list), until at least the first day of school, or the date where it appears the waiting list will be too long to accommodate. Any late enrollment application cutoff will be posted on the website and is effective immediately.